The beauty of quotes is the fact that they contain a ton of information in just a few sentences.
You know that feeling when you read a quote and your immediate reaction is, “Damn, that changes everything!”
The power of language (which is why I love latin so much). And since I talk so much about masculinity on this blog, I thought I create a post that contains my personal favorite masculinity quotes to have your reality reshaped and give you a ton of “Damn!” moments while reading it.
Why Should You Read Masculinity Quotes?
In our current society, masculinity is either labeled as toxic or already dying. We live in a feminized society, where the women are put on pedestals and divinified (is that a word?). Men are portrayed as bumbling idiots, driven by their sexual desires. Just watch any new movie and you’ll notice immediately how women are portrayed as the “clever and smart” humans above the “animalistic” men.
And how they lower themselves to have sex with you.
What a detrimental world-view.
But it is the reality we live in. As a man, it is therefore your duty to understand how it can be that EVERYTHING you see was actually created by men if we are such useless creatures. Why man was designed as the leader by nature. And what it actually means to be a man.
These quotes therefore help to get a quick overview and understand yourself.
I intentionally did not add any comments to these quotes, because some are ambiguous for a reason. Read each quote and think about it. What did he mean by that?
Let us begin:
1. “It’s better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.” -Emiliano Zapata
2. “If you don’t stand for something, you’ll fall for anything.” -Alexander Hamilton
3. “No man is more unhappy than he who never faces adversity. For he is not permitted to prove himself.” -Seneca
4. “When the boy is healed, the man appears.” -Tony Robbins
5. “It never troubles the wolf how many the sheep may be.” -Virgil
6. “We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” -C.S. Lewis
7. “A man may conquer a million men in battle but one who conquers himself is, indeed, the greatest of conquerors.” -Buddha
8. “Man is what he believes.” -Anton Chekov
9. “Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value.” -Albert Einstein
10. “All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.” -Edmund Burke
11. “Strength, Courage, Mastery, and Honor are the alpha virtues of men all over the world.” -Jack Donovan
12. “Men want a battle to fight, an adventure to live, and a beauty to rescue. That is what is written in their hearts. That is what little boys play at. That is what men’s movies are about. You just see it. It is undeniable.” -John Eldredge
13. “To improve is to change. So to be perfect is to have changed often.” -Winston Churchill
14. “First find the man in yourself if you will inspire manliness in others.” -Thomas Alcott
15. “There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow men. True nobility lies in being superior to your former self.” -Ernest Hemingway
16. “It is not what he has, or even what he does which expresses the worth of a man, but what he is.” -Henri-Frédéric Amiel
17. “The way of a superior man is three-fold: virtuous, he is free from anxieties; wise, he is free from perplexities; bold, he is free from fear.” -Confucius
18. “A man should be able to hear, and to bear, the worst that could be said of him.” -Saul Bellow
19. “When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me.” –The Bible
20. “You may not know your mission, but unless you discover this deep purpose and live it fully, your life will feel empty at its core, even if your intimate relationship and family life are full of love.” -David Deida, The Way of the Superior Man
21. “When I believe in something, I fight like hell for it.” -Steve McQueen
22. “You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain’t about how hard you hit. It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.” -Rocky Balboa
23. “The happiness of your life depends upon the quality of your thoughts.” -Marcus Aurelius
24. “To be a man is, precisely, to be responsible.” -Antoine de Saint-Exupery
25. “One man with courage makes a majority.” -Thomas Jefferson
26. “Masculinity is not something given to you, but something you gain. And you gain it by winning small battles with honor.” -Norman Mailer
27. “Manliness consists not in bluff, bravado or loneliness. It consists in daring to do the right thing and facing consequences whether it is in matters social, political or other. It consists in deeds not words.” -Mahatma Ghandi
28. “The Man who says he can, and the man who says he cannot… are both correct.” -Confucius
29. “Man should not ask what the meaning of his life is, but rather must recognize that it is he who is asked.” -Viktor Frankl
30. “I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion.” -Alexander the Great
31. “I am the wrath of God. If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” -Genghis Khan
32. “All men’s souls are immortal, but the souls of the righteous are immortal and divine.” –Socrates
33. “It is not death that a man should fear, but he should fear never beginning to live.” -Marcus Aurelius
There are many more quotes about masculinity out there, but these are my favorites and capture the masculine essence the best.
You might have noticed a bunch of common themes in these quotes:
- And most importantly: Acceptance of your masculine power and desires
Society tells you all kinds of things you shouldn’t be as a man. I tell you, listen to your soul. To your heart, to your masculinity. To say it with David Deida’s words:
“Your desire for other women is not a reflection of any lack in your intimacy, it is a reflection of your nature as a masculine sexual being.”
I am not telling you to cheat on your girl or have a harem of women. This quote just means, you accept and love the feminine energy, you are brave enough to live it outwardly, and you have a code and/or honor to decide for YOURSELF how you live your life with the feminine.
If you have other great quotes, post them in the comments!